Freitag, 8. April 2011

#144 - The Beatles - Abbey Road *

No one was waiting for it, but here it is, the other Beatles album fighting for the title of being my favorite, together with Revolver. The band was already falling apart at the time, so the songs are mainly one-man contributions. There are some of the most beautiful and famous Beatles songs on this album, the Harrison gems "Something" and "Here comes the sun", cool rocker "Come together" and, not that known but as beautiful, "Because", "You never give me your money" or "Golden slumbers". The last two are part of a medley in the second half of the song, that beautifully combines diverse songs or fragments with recurring musical themes. It is a wonderful album with few songs below the very high par ("Maxwell’s silver hammer", "Sun king"), and it is, compared to Revolver, the more round, consistent album with songs written by more experienced Beatles, but it lacks the exploration and innocent genius of it. So I guess I will have to live with two favorite Beatles albums. I'm not the lyrics type, but whenever I hear the last words of the album on "The end" (apart from the sugarcube "Her majesty"), I get goose-bumps: "And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love, you make". Bravo.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen