Dienstag, 15. März 2011

Preface

Hi,

I am one of those guys who wants to listen to the 1001 albums you have to hear before you die.
Before I start writing about the albums, let me tell you how I listen to music in general and in what way I want to write about the albums.
If I break down music into its elements, I'd do that and weigh them as follows:

70% melodies
15% rythm
10% sound
5% lyrics

I grew up with music like ABBA and the pop music of the 80s, and melodies are by far the most important element for me. Of course almost every piece of music contains melodies of some sort, and I don't like all of them. Maybe I'll be able to tell after the 1001 albums what kinds of melodies I like more specifically.
Since english is not my mother tongue, I'm able to not listen to the sung lyrics in music. I don't do that all the time, but I find that the lyrics don't matter much to me. I don't see musicians as storytellers who happen to tell their stories musically, but rather as melodypresenters who happen to present some of their melodies in the form of sung lyrics.

I plan to listen to the albums chronologically, since otherwise I'd probably avoid the works that I probably won't like as much, such as jazz or hip-hop. Also I like the idea of listening to them kind of in the order they were made, since they influenced each other at least partly.
I will not rate the albums with a number or an amount of stars, microphones or whatever. My written impression will have to do it.

So let's begin listening. At the time of writing this I'm already in at #19, so the first posts will come promptly I hope.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen